Listen to this story here, or scroll down to read it.
Dear Barack and Michelle,
I want to take a moment to thank you for your leadership the past 8 years as President and First Lady of the United States.
The past few weeks has been difficult for me knowing I was going to have to see you leave. I feel as though I have lost a loved one or a pet. I wish I did not have to say goodbye to you two.
While you were both in office, I was lucky enough to be going through some of the hardest transition times in an American citizens life. You had me in good hands while I graduated high school, attended and graduated at a University, and began my adult life on my own. You supported me while starting my adult life as a full-time entrepreneur. I never had a doubt in my mind that you wouldn't be by my side.
Each and every day that I woke up from bed and I went to sleep at night, I felt safe with you taking care of us. I do not know anyone as unselfish as you are. Each and every decision that you have made while in office has been for the best interest of the American people. You both truly believe that everyone deserves opportunity in this country.
Thinking back at all of your accomplishments, a few big ones jump out to mind.
- You ended war and brought more peace to the world.
- You helped give healthcare to millions of American people who did not have it previously.
- Through many initiatives, you provided school lunch to millions of low income Americans. You made it a priority for young people to grow up healthy and strong.
- You protected millions of acres of wilderness to keep our land beautiful and continue to give other species the land they deserve. Animals deserve an equal opportunity to this country too, you know.
- You gave equal rights to the LGBT community giving them the human right to marriage. Love is love.
- You gave young women confidence by showing them you do not need a man to be happy.
- You brought about numerous environmental policies that will allow Earth to provide the gift of life to more generations beyond us.
- You stood up for minorities in countless occasions and continued to provide equal opportunities for them and their families.
- In your final day, you gave 330 prisoners their life back. You have given more prisoners a second chance than any other president in history.
- I even wrote to you, Barack, via the White House Facebook messenger with a hope you would see it. A few weeks later, you replied back to me:
Beyond these accomplishments, you gave us love. While living in the White House, you all ate dinner each night together as a family. You both showed your love and affection for one another as a husband and wife. I am getting married this year to the love of my life and your happiness together while leading this country has given me an example of what marriage could be. I have no idea how you both have lead this country while also raising a family of 4 and loving each other as a couple. I can't help but smile when I see you two together.
Someday I hope to meet someone who loves this country as much as you both do. I am honored to have you both join us as American citizens again and continuing to make the world a better place. If you ever need anything from us, just ask.
From the bottom of my heart, I thank you. I love you both deeply and will never forget these past 8 years of my life.
Peace and love,